Shelby's Wheel Tire, named after its founder Shelby Dunn, began business in 1967 as Consolidated Tire Company. Because of Shelby's innovative nature to provide contemporary products that were non-traditional to everyday tire stores, like custom wheels and truck accessories, in 1974 Shelby bought out Consolidated Tire's interest in the Owensboro, Kentucky location and changed the name to Shelby's Wheel Tire, Inc. Originally located at 1039 East 18th Street, Shelby's has since built a bigger facility to accommodate it's growing clientele directly across the street at 1709 Breckenridge Street. Shelby Dunn officially retired from his management position in 1979. His son Anthony Dunn has assumed the management role and new location expansion.